HOME Media Kit Advertising Contact Us About Us


Web The Truth

Community Calendar

Dear Ryan


Online Issues

Send a Letter to the Editor



Social Security Column

Tax season is approaching and replacing your annual Benefit Statement has never been easier.  The Benefit Statement, also known as the SSA-1099 or the SSA-1042S, is a tax form we mail each year in January to people who receive Social Security benefits.  It shows the total amount of benefits you received from us in the previous year so you know how much Social Security income to report to the Internal Revenue Service on your tax return.

If you live in the United States and you need a replacement form SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S, simply go online and get an instant, printable replacement form using your personal my Social Security account at www.ssa.gov/myaccount.  A replacement SSA-1099 or SSA-1042S is available for the previous tax year after February 1.

If you don’t have access to a printer, you can save the document to your computer or email it to yourself.  If you don’t have a my Social Security account, creating one is very easy to do and usually takes less than 10 minutes.

With a personal my Social Security account, you can do much of your business with us online.  If you receive benefits or have Medicare, your personal my Social Security account is also the best way to:

• Request a replacement Social Security number card (in most states and the District of Columbia).

• Get your benefit verification letter.

• Check your benefit and payment information.

• Change your address and phone number.

• Change your direct deposit information.

• Request a replacement Medicare card.

• Report your wages if you work and receive Social Security disability insurance or Supplemental Security Income benefits.

If you’re a non-citizen who lives outside of the United States and you received or repaid Social Security benefits last year, we will send you form SSA-1042S in the mail.  The forms SSA-1099 and SSA-1042S are not available for people who receive Supplemental Security Income benefits. Visit www.ssa.gov to find more about our online services. 

Social Security Is Not Just for Retirees

You don’t have to be retired or even close to retirement to benefit from a personal my Social Security account.  Calling or visiting a local Social Security office probably is rarely necessary once you have one.  You can do much of your business with us online.

With your personal my Social Security account, you can: 

•    Request a replacement Social Security card (in most states and the District of Columbia).

•    Estimate your future benefits to compare different dates or ages to begin receiving benefits.

•    Check the status of your Social Security application when you do decide to apply.

•     Review your work history.

If you already receive benefits, you can also:

•    Request a replacement Social Security card (in most states and the District of Columbia).

•    Get a benefit verification or proof of income letter.

•    Set up or change your direct deposit.

•    Change your address.

•    Request a replacement Medicare card.

•     Get a Social Security 1099 form (SSA-1099).

•     Opt out of receiving certain notices by mail and receive them in the secure Message Center.

Please help us spread the word.  Let your family and friends know that they can create a my Social Security account today at www.ssa.gov/myaccount.





Copyright © 2021 by [The Sojourner's Truth]. All rights reserved.
Revised: 02/17/21 12:41:04 -0500.

More Articles....

Area Office on Aging Helps Seniors Get Vaccinated

Clara Petty: YWCA Milestones Education Honoree

Building an Indispensable Bridge

Birth of a Nation … Redux?

The Three Great Ironies of the Trump Insurrection

TARTA : Laying the Groundwork to Opening Doors of Opportunity for the Community

Larry Sykes Gets His Shot


Back to Home Page