HOME Media Kit Advertising Contact Us About Us

 

Web The Truth


Community Calendar

Dear Ryan

Classifieds

Online Issues

Send a Letter to the Editor


 

 
 

Caregiver Expo Helps Daughters/Sons Care Better and Longer for Aging Parents

Special to The Truth

With about 70 exhibitors, a nationally known speaker and a lunch, the free Caregiver Expo was an event where family caregivers were celebrated and strengthened in their role. 

 

The Caregiver Expo held on Saturday, November 11, brought between 400 and 500 visitors to Parkway Place.  Daughters, sons, spouses, church members and others that care for an aging loved one were welcome at this event.

 

While they may not think of themselves as caregivers, those who help an aging loved one with any of the following activities were the focus of this event: helping with grocery shopping, picking up prescriptions, going to doctor appointments, help with meals and/or paying bills.  The event connected caregivers with resources to support them in their caregiving role.

  

The unpaid care provided by these individuals is how 87 percent of the long-term care in this country is provided, with paid care by nursing homes, home health agencies and others making up the remaining 13 percent.

 

This selfless work caring for a loved one can be extremely stressful and can eventually take a toll on the health of the family caregiver, if they don’t make a conscious effort to take care of themselves.   Caregivers often make sure the individual they care for makes their doctors’ appointments, eat well and get enough rest while at the same time neglecting to make their own doctors’ appointments, eat well and get enough rest.  Some studies show that about 30 percent of caregivers die before the people they care for. 

 

The stress that often takes a toll on caregivers who try to go it alone in caring for their aging loved one is usually threefold: time constraints and financial constraints.  At the event, free resources will be available to help addresses all these different types of strain. 

 

By utilizing some of the resources available in the community to supplement the care they provide and getting a temporary break when they need it, family caregivers can care better and longer for their loved one. 

 

Caregivers were connected with information, services and products that can provide them with a temporary break from their caregiving role to help alleviate some of caregiving stress and help them remain in their caregiving role longer. 

 

Melanie Bunn was the event’s keynote speaker.  She spoke on Changing Caregivers into Care Partners through Connection, Communication and Care.

 

Sometimes all a caregiver needs is a temporary break from their caregiving duties so they do not prematurely have to stop giving the care they provide.  There are a variety of ways a temporary break can be provided.  For more information, contact 419-382-0624 or www.AreaOfficeOnAging.com

 

The Area Office on Aging of Northwestern Ohio (AOoA) helps older adults and their family caregivers live long, quality, independent lives in its 10 county service area. The Area Office on Aging provides programs and services that help younger and more active older adults remain healthy, active and vibrant for as long as possible, programs and services that help frail older adults remain as independent as possible as well as services and programs for everyone in between.

 
   
   


Copyright © 2017 by [The Sojourner's Truth]. All rights reserved.
Revised: 11/24/17 05:24:09 -0800.


More Articles....

Three-bedroom Home Will Be Awarded to a Worthy Family This Holiday Season

 

The Importance of Supporting Black-Owned Businesses

 

First Federal Bank and First Insurance Group Fund $10,000 Worth of Pay it Forward Ideas

The Power of “The Little Things”

Sexual Harassment 101....
 


   

Back to Home Page