HOME Media Kit Advertising Contact Us About Us


Web The Truth

Community Calendar

Dear Ryan


Online Issues

Send a Letter to the Editor



Social Security Column

Sign Up For Medicare Part B Online

For many people, signing up for Medicare Part B doesn’t require you to leave the comfort of home.  Please visit our Medicare Part B webpage at secure.ssa.gov/acu/ophandler/loginSuccess  if:

·      You’re enrolled in Medicare Part A.

·      You would like to enroll in Part B during the Special Enrollment Period.

You can complete form CMS-40B (Application for Enrollment in Medicare – Part B [Medical Insurance]) at www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms-Items/CMS017339 and CMS-L564 at www.cms.gov/Medicare/CMS-Forms/CMS-Forms/Downloads/CMS-L564E.pdf (Request for Employment Information) online.

You can also fax the CMS-40B and CMS-L564 to 1-833-914-2016; or return forms by mail to your local Social Security office.  Please contact Social Security at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) if you have any questions.  

 Note:  When completing the forms:

·         State, “I want Part B coverage to begin (MM/YY)” in the remarks section of the CMS-40B form or online application.

·         If your employer is unable to complete Section B, please complete that portion as best you can on behalf of your employer without your employer’s signature.

·         Submit one of the following types of secondary evidence by uploading it from a saved document on your computer:

·         Income tax returns that show health insurance premiums paid.

·         W-2s reflecting pre-tax medical contributions.

·         Pay stubs that reflect health insurance premium deductions.

·         Health insurance cards with a policy effective date.

·         Explanations of benefits paid by the GHP or LGHP.

·         Statements or receipts that reflect payment of health insurance premiums.

 Please let your friends and loved ones know about this online, mail or fax option.

Understanding how your future retirement might affect your spouse is important.  Here are a few things to remember when you’re planning for your retirement.  Your spouse’s benefit amount could be up to 50 percent of your full retirement age benefit amount.  If you qualify for a benefit from your own work history and a spouse’s record, we always pay your own benefit first.  You cannot receive spouse’s benefits unless your spouse is receiving their retirement benefits (except for divorced spouses).

If you took your reduced retirement first while waiting for your spouse to reach retirement age, your own retirement portion remains reduced.  When you add spouse’s benefits later, the total retirement and spouses benefit together will total less than 50 percent of the worker’s amount.  You can find out more about this at www.ssa.gov/OACT/quickcalc/spouse.html.

If your spouse’s retirement benefit is higher than your retirement benefit, and he or she chooses to take reduced benefits and dies first, your survivor benefit will be reduced, but may be higher than what your spouse received.

If your deceased spouse started receiving reduced retirement benefits before their full retirement age, a special rule called the retirement insurance benefit limit may apply to you.   The retirement insurance benefit limit is the maximum survivor benefit you may receive.  Generally, the limit is the higher of:

·         The reduced monthly retirement benefit the deceased spouse would have been entitled to if they had lived, or

·         82.5 percent of the unreduced deceased spouse’s monthly benefit if they had started receiving benefits at their full retirement age (rather than choosing to receive a reduced retirement benefit early).

Knowing about these benefits can help you plan your financial future.  Access a wealth of useful information and use our benefits planners at www.ssa.gov/benefits/retirement.

If you need to replace your lost or misplaced Social Security card, our online application makes getting a replacement card easier than ever.  Requesting a card replacement online is available if you live in the District of Columbia or one of the 45 states that can verify state ID information for us.  If you’re only requesting a replacement card and you’re making no changes, you may be able to use our free online service.

All you need to do is create a personal my Social Security account at www.ssa.gov/myaccount and meet certain requirements.  Opening a personal my Social Security account is easy, convenient, and secure.  We protect your information by using strict identity verification and security features.  Once you have a personal account, simply follow the instructions to request a replacement Social Security card.

You can apply for a replacement card online, if you meet all of the following requirements:

§  Are a U. S. citizen age 18 or older with a U.S. mailing address (this includes APO, FPO, and DPO addresses).

§  Are not requesting any changes to your card (including a name change).

§  Have a valid driver’s license or state-issued identification card.

In many cases, you may not need a replacement card; often, simply knowing your Social Security number is enough.

But if you do need a replacement card, please visit our website at www.ssa.gov/ssnumber to find out if you can take advantage of this convenient online service.



Copyright © 2019 by [The Sojourner's Truth]. All rights reserved.
Revised: 11/19/20 09:06:13 -0500.

More Articles....



Back to Home Page