HOME Media Kit Advertising Contact Us About Us


Web The Truth

Community Calendar

Dear Ryan


Online Issues

Send a Letter to the Editor



Social Security- Questions and Answers

By Erin Thompson, Public Affairs Specialist in Toledo, OH

Guest Column



How do I schedule, reschedule, or cancel an appointment with Social Security?



For many things, you donít need an appointment to transact business with Social Security. For example, you donít need an appointment to file for benefits or appeal a disability decision. You can file for the following benefits online at www.socialsecurity.gov

  • Retirement;

  • Medicare;

  • Spouses; and

  • Disability.

If you donít want to apply for benefits online, or if you need to speak to us for any other reason, you can schedule, reschedule, or cancel an appointment by:

  • Calling us at 1-800-772-1213 (TTY 1-800-325-0778) between 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday through Friday; or

  • Contacting your local Social Security office.


I applied for my child's Social Security card in the hospital, but have not received it. How long does it take?



In most states, it takes an average of three weeks to get the card, but in some states it can take longer. If you have not received your child's card in a timely manner, please visit your local Social Security office or Card Center. Be sure to take proof of your childís citizenship, age, and identity as well as proof of your own identity. And remember, we cannot divulge your childís Social Security number over the phone. Learn more at www.socialsecurity.gov.



I canít seem to find my Social Security card. Do I need to get a replacement?



In most cases, knowing your Social Security number is enough. But, if you do apply for and receive a replacement card, donít carry that card with you. Keep it with your important papers. For more information about your Social Security card and number, and for information about how to apply for a replacement, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber. If you believe youíre the victim of identity theft, read our publication Identity Theft and Your Social Security Number, at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs.


I own a small business. How can I verify employeesí Social Security numbers?



Employers can use our Social Security Number Verification Service to verify the names and Social Security numbers of current and former employees for wage reporting purposes. For more information, go to www.socialsecurity.gov/employer/ssnv.htm.





Copyright © 2019 by [The Sojourner's Truth]. All rights reserved.
Revised: 10/17/19 11:15:31 -0400.

More Articles....

No More!


Another Reason Why We Can All be TPS Proud  




Ohio Fair Housing Advocates Oppose the Administrationís Attempt to Gut Core Civil Rights Protection

Youth Address Gun Violence During Forum

Infinite Hope: A Black Artistís Journey from World War II to Peace by Ashley Bryan


Back to Home Page