HOME Media Kit Advertising Contact Us About Us


Web The Truth

Community Calendar

Dear Ryan


Online Issues

Send a Letter to the Editor



Social Security- Questions and Answers


By Erin Thompson, Public Affairs Specialist in Toledo, OH

Guest Column



How can I get a copy of my Social Security Statement?


You can get your personal Social Security Statement online by using your personal  my Social Security  account. If you donít yet have an account, you can easily create one. Your online Statement gives you secure and convenient access to your earnings records. It also shows estimates for retirement, disability, and survivors benefits you and your family may be eligible for.

To set up or use your account to get your online Social Security Statement, go to

We also mail Statements to workers age 60 and over who arenít receiving Social Security benefits and do not yet have a my Social Security account. We mail the Statements three months prior to your birthday.


Iím trying to figure out how much I need to save for my retirement. Does the government offer any help with financial education?



Yes. For starters, you may want to find out what you can expect from Social Security with a visit to Social Securityís Retirement Estimator at www.socialsecurity.gov/estimator. The Financial Literacy and Education Commission has a website that can help you with the basics of financial education: www.mymoney.gov. Finally, youíll want to check out the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau, which offers educational information on a number of financial matters, including mortgages, credit cards, retirement, and other big decisions. Visit the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau at www.consumerfinance.gov.



How do I change my citizenship status on Social Securityís records?



To change your citizenship status shown in Social Security records:

  • Complete an application for a Social Security card (Form SS-5), which you can find online at www.socialsecurity.gov/online/ss-5.html; and

  • Provide documents proving your:

    • New or revised citizenship status (We can only accept certain documents as proof of citizenship. These include your U.S. passport, a Certificate of Naturalization, or a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are not a U.S. citizen, Social Security will ask to see your current immigration documents);

    • Age; and

    • Identity.

  • Next, take (or mail) your completed application and documents to your local Social Security office.

All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. We cannot accept photocopies or notarized copies of documents. For more information, visit www.socialsecurity.gov/ssnumber.



I heard there is a Social Security video available in American Sign Language (ASL). Where can I find it?



Yes, itís true. The video is called ďSocial Security, SSI and Medicare: What You Need to Know About These Vital Programs.Ē The video is available in ASL and it presents important information about our programs. You can watch the video now at www.socialsecurity.gov/multimedia/video/asl. The video is a part of our larger collection of on-demand videos and webinars available at www.socialsecurity.gov/webinars and at www.YouTube.com.


I worked for the last 10 years and I now have my 40 credits. Does this mean that I get the maximum Social Security retirement benefit?



Probably not. The 40 credits are the minimum number you need to qualify for retirement benefits. However, we do not base your benefit amount on those credits; it's based on your earnings over a lifetime of work. To learn more about how you earn Social Security credits and how they work, read or listen to our publication How You Earn Credits, available at www.socialsecurity.gov/pubs.




Copyright © 2019 by [The Sojourner's Truth]. All rights reserved.
Revised: 03/20/19 23:51:59 -0400.

More Articles....

Will Lucas: Relishing and Thriving on the Spirit of Entrepreneurship

The Mother of the Movement (M.O.M.S.) Celebrated

Scott Alumni Association Holds Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony

Waters Supports Bipartisan Bill to Increase Housing Opportunities for Low-Income Families

Boy Scouts Organize Food Drive to Benefit Local Food Pantries

Inventing Victoria by Tonya Bolden


Back to Home Page